Saturday, July 23, 2011

Destination and a new beginning

Ok, I admit that I should have posted this a long time back. I was hoping for a better result. Finally after so many twists and turns, there is only one word for my score - DECENT

710(Q-50,V-37,AWA-5.5) wrote on 7th July

There are mixed feelings. Inspiration, elation, sadness, confusion all blending in. Now What? Is this score good enough? Should I write again? The answer depends on my school selection and profile strength both of which are unclear to me. Therefore I have decided to close this issue by end of July by taking the help of a consultant.

So what happened to the overconfident guy who was claiming to ace in GMAT? Well he is still there, little shaken but still going strong. I have been through so many diverse and difficult situations in my life that I have learned the importance of calmness. After GMAT, the main thing that was bothering me was my self image. To counter this, I was repeatedly thinking - I AM MORE THAN MY GMAT SCORE. But still I was not convinced. I was in agitated state. So I just waited to get myself into calm mode again. I watched my favorite movies and had great food. Once I relaxed, the whole GMAT preparation journey went through my mind.

I started my preparation for GMAT in mid-April. I used to study on alternate days because of professional commitment, my own lack of self-discipline and extraneous factors like power-cut, social commitments. So basically I studied for around 35-40 days. +1 for getting a decent score in so less time.

On looking back, I feel I should have devoted more time for verbal especially sentence correction. On GMAT day, I performed well in AWA thanks to myohmy. Then Quants was a breeze as well. But in verbal I started slow. I still remember I spent around 5 mins for the first verbal question. Then I realized my poor beginning and brought about a sense of urgency while keeping my accuracy. I was going alright but my speed was a little bit slow. In the last I had around 8 questions with 8 mins left. I had to finish it anyhow and so there was guesses. It brought down the score in VA to 37 :(

But I am happy and proud. Feels good about the whole process and all in all it was fun. It has taught me to think in an analytic and structured manner. Now its the time for new beginning which involves school-shortlisting, essays and recommendations. Let another yatra begins.

P.S. - Since this blog was created to capture my GMAT journey, I am going to change its outlook and expand its scope to serve as my B-School journey. Keep visiting :)

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your score ... my 2 cents - since you have crossed the 700 barrier the GMAT score will not be a hindrance to your apps ... I think you can concentrate on providing a good all round projection of yourself through the essays and you can get in wherever you want :)

    Best of Luck !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you pyarapopat.. All the very best to you too for your apps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats.. Those Aiming to pursue their MBA in a Top B-School must crack GMAT exam. But the thing is how to plan your GMAT preparation. Joining Training Program is a good idea. e-GMAT provide best Audio Video Learning Lessons to their Students. Our 1500+ GMAT Verbal practice questions cover full GMAT Verbal Section. e-GMAT teaches you concepts used in GMAT grammar Register for FREE trial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post.. Its very Helpful GMAT details. Thanks to share this.. GMAT is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council. More than 6,000 programs offered by more than 2,100 universities and institutions use the GMAT exam as part of the selection criteria for their programs site.http://www.mbaonemi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new beginning for the students will almost help them to achieve certain levels which will help them to bring around the vital and evident piece facts. finance assignment

    ReplyDelete